LONDON – – Goodbye, your royal highnesses. Hello, life as – almost – ordinary civilians.
Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, are quitting as working royals and will no longer use the titles “royal highness” or receive public funds for their work under a deal announced Saturday by Buckingham Palace.
Releasing details of the dramatic split, triggered by the couple’s unhappiness with life under media scrutiny in the royal fishbowl, the palace said Harry and Meghan will cease to be working members of royal family when the new arrangements take effect within months, in the “spring of 2020”.
The couple will no longer use the prestigious titles His Royal Highness and Her Royal Highness, but they are not being stripped of them.
They will be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan , Duchess of Sussex. Harry will remain a prince and sixth in line to the British throne.
The agreement also calls for Meghan and Harry to repay 2.4 million pounds ($3.1 million) in taxpayers’ money that was spent renovating a house for them near Windsor Castle, Frogmore Cottage. The use of public funds to ready their home has raised ire in the British press.
The announcement came after days of talks among royal courtiers sparked by Meghan and Harry’s announcement last week that they wanted to step down as senior royals and live part-time somewhere in Canada.
The couple’s departure is a wrench for the royal family, but Queen Elizabeth II had warm words for them in a statement Saturday.
The 93-year-old queen said she was pleased that “together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family”.
“I recognize the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life” Elizabeth said.
“It is my hole family’s hope today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life”, she added.
Despite the queen’s kind words, the new arrangement will represent an almost complete break from life as working royals, especially for Harry. As a devoted Army veteran and servant to the crown, the price carried out dozens of royal engagement.
It is not yet clear whether Harry and Meghan will continue to receive financial support from Harry’s father, Prince Charles, who used revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall to help fund his activities and those of his wife and sons.
The duchy, chartered in 1337, produced more than 20 million pounds in revenue last year. It is widely regarded as private money, not public funds, so Charles may opt to keep details of its disbursal private.
While he and Meghan will no longer represent the queen, the palace said they would “continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty” while carrying out their private charitable works.
The withdrawal of Harry from royal engagements will increase the demands on his brother, Prince William, and William’s wife, Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge.
Bukingham Palace did not disclose who will pay for the couple’s security going forward. It currently is taxpayer-funded and carried out primarily by a special unit of the Metropolitan Police, also known as Scotland Yard.
“There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly funded security”, it said.
Harry and Meghan have grown increasingly uncomfortable with constant media scrutiny since the birth in May of their son, Archie. They married in 2018 in a ceremony that drew a worldwide TV audience.
Meghan joined the royal family after a successful acting career and spoke enthusiastically about the chance to travel throughout Britain and learn about her new home, but disillusionment set in fairly quickly.
She launched legal action against a newspaper in October for publishing a letter she wrote to her father. Harry has complained bitterly of racist undertones some media coverage of his wife, who is biracial.
There has also been a breach in the longtime close relationship between Harry and William, a future king, over issues that have not been made public.
The couple’s desire to separate from the rest of the family had been the subject of media speculation for months. But they angered senior royals by revealing their plans on Instagram and a new website without advance clearance from the queen or palace officials.
Elizabeth summoned Harry, William, and Charles, to an unusual crisis meeting at her rural retreat in eastern England in an effort to find common ground.
The result was Saturday’s agreement, which is different from Harry and Meghan’s initial proposal that they planned to combine a new, financially independent life with a reduced set of royal duties.
The First CNN Academy in the world has opened its doors for applications for journalists of the future to learn about multiplatform storytelling. Starting in January 2021, the intensive learning program will offer a fulltime five-week course with a combination learning sessions and in – person workshops that will take place at CNN at Twofour54 … Continue reading BACK 2 SCHOOLS | CNN Launches Abu Dhabi Academy For Journalists→
Saudi Arabia is gradually lifting the travel ban, by allowing a specific group of people to enter and exit the Kingdom before January 1, the expected date of the complete reopening of the land, maritime and air borders. The exact date for lifting the suspension of travel and allowing the land, sea and air transport … Continue reading TRAVEL | Saudi Arabia Gradually Lifts Travel Restrictions→
Pierre Cardin has an indefatigable work ethic. That’s one of the major takeaways from P.David Ebersole and Todd Huges’s new documentary, House of Cardin, which charts the ongoing career trajectory of the designer, from birth to the present. Cardin, ne Cardine, is a self-made and self-invented man. His memory of his family’s flight from fascist … Continue reading FASHION | Pierre Cardin Is The Subject Of A New Documentary→
The Chances Of Getting Pregnant Over 40 A study in the medical journal ‘Fertility and Sterility’ confirms there is a steep drop in fertility in the 40s. researchers found 40-year-old females being treated for infertility had a 25 percent chance of getting pregnant using their own eggs. But once they hit 43 that number dropped … Continue reading HEALTH | Babies After 40: The Health & Fertility Issue→
New York Fashion Week will look a little different this season, with the typical seven-day parade of events stripped down to five days because of COVID-19 restrictions, with online runway shows, and smaller, socially distanced audiences. Host IMG said it had worked closely with the governor’s office to understand the protocols needed in order to … Continue reading FASHION | COVID-19 Restriction Give New York Fashion Week New Look→
India’s top tourist attraction the Taj Mahal is set to reopen more than six month after it was shut, official said Tuesday, even as the vast nation battles soaring coronavirus infections. India, home to 1.3 billion people, on Monday overtook Brazil to become the world’s second most-infected nation with more than 4.2. million cases, behind … Continue reading TRAVEL | Taj Mahal To Reopen Even As Virus Rages In India→
Recent trends in international travel aren’t encouraging. Many places are either doubling down on lengthy quarantine requirements or reimposing restrictions as COVID-19 cases spike. Border closures and quarantine rules changed frequently. Air traffic appears to have peaked in August, and it’s unclear what’s ahead for the aviation industry. On all fronts there is a great … Continue reading TRAVEL ESSENTIAL | 9 Countries You Can Travel To Right Now→
The organizing committee of the Saudi Film Festival on Tuesday announced the name of the jury for competitions in the upcoming festival. The festival, organized by Ithra in collaboration with the Film Authority of the Saudi Culture Ministry, will be held virtually from Sept.1-6 and broadcast online. Interviews with filmmakers as well as workshops will … Continue reading ARTS & CULTURE | Saudi Film Festival Announces Jury Members→