‘Sad’ Prince Harry Says No Other Option But To End Royal Role
LONDON | ENGLAND – Britain’s Prince Harry spoke on Sunday of his sadness at being forced to give up his royal duties in a deal with Queen Elizabeth and senior Windsors that will see him and his wife Meghan exit official roles to seek an independent future.
Bukingham Palace and the Queen announced on Saturday that Harry and Meghan would no longer be working members of Britain’s monarchy, no longer use their “Royal Highness” titles and would now pay their own way in life, freeing them to forge new careers.
The new arrangement was struck to end a crisis the couple sparked by announcing earlier this month they wanted to cut down on official engagements and spend more time in North America, while remaining active royals.
In a speech to the Sentebale charity on Sunday, a clearly upset Harry said the final outcome was not what he and his American wife, a former actress, had wanted.
“Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth and my military associations without public funding. Sadly that wasn’t possible”, the prince, the sixth-in-line to the throne, said.
“I’ve accepted this knowing it doesn’t change who I am, or how committed I am. But I hope that helps you understand what it had come to, that I would step back from all I have ever known to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life”.
Under the arrangement, Harry will remain a prince and the couple will keep their titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they begin a new life split between Britain and North America where they will spend the majority of their time. but they will not take part in any future ceremonial events or royal tours.
Royal commentators said it amounted to an “abdication” from the “firm” – as the royals are known – and showed that, under the warm words in which she said Harry and Meghan were much loved, the queen had taken a firm and decisive line by insisting on a clean break.
“It brings me great sadness that it has come to this”, said Harry. He said the decision to step back had followed months of talks and had not been a decision he had come to lightly. They were not walking away, he explained.
“As far as this goes, there really was no other option”, he added.
He told the audience at the charity he founded to help children with HIV in Africa that he wanted them to hear the truth from him “not as a Prince, or a Duke, but as Harry, the same person that many of you have watched grow up over the last 35 years but with a clearer perspective.”
“The U.K. is my home and a place that I love. That will never change”, he said.
The couple’s plans for independence, announced after a long break over the Christmas period in Canada, caught the rest of the royal family by surprise earlier this month and left the queen and other senior members hurt and disappointed, according to royal sources.
However, in a TV interview aired in October, both had made it clear how they were struggling with the immense media attention. The couple also began legal action against one newspaper for printing a letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.
Harry said he felt his wife had faced “bullying” from some tabloids similar to that faces by his mother Princess Diana who died in a car crash while trying to escape paparazzi photographers.
“I was born into this life and it is a great honour to serve my country and the queen”, he said.
“When I lost my mum 23 years, you took me under your wing. You’ve looked out for me for so long but the media is a powerful force and my hope is one day our collective support for each other can be more powerful because this is so much bigger than just us”.
Bucking Palace have said the couple would no longer receive public money and that they would repay the cost of refurbishing their cottage in Windsor, which official figures show amounted to 2.4 million pounds ($3.1 million).
But certain details, such as their future security arrangements or whether the couple could continue to use the “Sussex Royal” title for their website and branding, have either not been finalized or publicly revealed.
Meghan is currently in Canada with their baby son Archie and Harry is expected to join her soon.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said earlier on Sunday he believed that the whole of Britain would want to wish the very best to the couple for their future.
“As I said before…I was sure that the royal family, which has been around a very long time, will find a way forward”, Johnson told Sky News.
The First CNN Academy in the world has opened its doors for applications for journalists of the future to learn about multiplatform storytelling. Starting in January 2021, the intensive learning program will offer a fulltime five-week course with a combination learning sessions and in – person workshops that will take place at CNN at Twofour54 … Continue reading BACK 2 SCHOOLS | CNN Launches Abu Dhabi Academy For Journalists→
Saudi Arabia is gradually lifting the travel ban, by allowing a specific group of people to enter and exit the Kingdom before January 1, the expected date of the complete reopening of the land, maritime and air borders. The exact date for lifting the suspension of travel and allowing the land, sea and air transport … Continue reading TRAVEL | Saudi Arabia Gradually Lifts Travel Restrictions→
Pierre Cardin has an indefatigable work ethic. That’s one of the major takeaways from P.David Ebersole and Todd Huges’s new documentary, House of Cardin, which charts the ongoing career trajectory of the designer, from birth to the present. Cardin, ne Cardine, is a self-made and self-invented man. His memory of his family’s flight from fascist … Continue reading FASHION | Pierre Cardin Is The Subject Of A New Documentary→
The Chances Of Getting Pregnant Over 40 A study in the medical journal ‘Fertility and Sterility’ confirms there is a steep drop in fertility in the 40s. researchers found 40-year-old females being treated for infertility had a 25 percent chance of getting pregnant using their own eggs. But once they hit 43 that number dropped … Continue reading HEALTH | Babies After 40: The Health & Fertility Issue→
New York Fashion Week will look a little different this season, with the typical seven-day parade of events stripped down to five days because of COVID-19 restrictions, with online runway shows, and smaller, socially distanced audiences. Host IMG said it had worked closely with the governor’s office to understand the protocols needed in order to … Continue reading FASHION | COVID-19 Restriction Give New York Fashion Week New Look→
India’s top tourist attraction the Taj Mahal is set to reopen more than six month after it was shut, official said Tuesday, even as the vast nation battles soaring coronavirus infections. India, home to 1.3 billion people, on Monday overtook Brazil to become the world’s second most-infected nation with more than 4.2. million cases, behind … Continue reading TRAVEL | Taj Mahal To Reopen Even As Virus Rages In India→
Recent trends in international travel aren’t encouraging. Many places are either doubling down on lengthy quarantine requirements or reimposing restrictions as COVID-19 cases spike. Border closures and quarantine rules changed frequently. Air traffic appears to have peaked in August, and it’s unclear what’s ahead for the aviation industry. On all fronts there is a great … Continue reading TRAVEL ESSENTIAL | 9 Countries You Can Travel To Right Now→
The organizing committee of the Saudi Film Festival on Tuesday announced the name of the jury for competitions in the upcoming festival. The festival, organized by Ithra in collaboration with the Film Authority of the Saudi Culture Ministry, will be held virtually from Sept.1-6 and broadcast online. Interviews with filmmakers as well as workshops will … Continue reading ARTS & CULTURE | Saudi Film Festival Announces Jury Members→