ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | ‘No Time To Die’ Was The First Major Film To Delay Its Release Due To Coronavirus. It May Not Be That Long

‘No Time To Die’, the latest James Bond film, was the first major Hollywood film the shift its opening because of coronavirus.

It may not be the last.

The outbreak, which has caused more than 3,000 deaths worldwide, the majority in Asia, has disrupted the global theater marketplace. It’s forced the closure of theaters in Italy, Korea and China – the second biggest movie market in the world behind the United States.

Most Hollywood studies remain committed to the release schedules for their upcoming films. For example, Paramount said it has no plans to move ‘A Quiet Place Part II’, which opens in North America on March 20, and Disney’s ‘Mulan’ is still set to open in the US a week later on March 27.

‘It’s futile to try and predict what will happen right now and it’s something only the studies can ultimately answer’, Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Boxoffice.com, told CNN Business. ‘We’re all in a wait-and-see mode’.

However, the virus has cast a shadow over the film industry as it moves closer to the summer movie season, arguably Hollywood’s most lucrative time period.

The summer is full of films that rely on international grosses to become blockbuster, and if overseas markets continue to be shuttered by the outbreak, studios might be forced to choose between a smaller pull at the box office or the costly decision to delay openings. The Hollywood Reporter reported this week that the decision to delay ‘No Time To Die’ could cost MGM more than $30 million.

One such film that could feel the pinch: ‘F9’, the ninth installment of the highly successful ‘Fast &Furious’ franchise, which opens on Memorial Day weekend in North America. The action series from Universal is a major international brand that makes most of its money from overseas theaters. ‘The Fate of the Furious’, the franchise’s last film, made more than 81% of its $1.2 billion gross outside of the United States.

Like ‘F9’, ‘Mulan’, ‘Marvel’s’, ‘Black Widow’, ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ and ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ are all films that will open between now and July. There are expected to be some of the highest-grossing films of 2020, and in order to get there, they will have to rely on global totals.

A big global total was also important to ‘No Time To Die’, which is why it likely pushed its released, according to Robbins.

The National Association of Theater Owners said in a statement following the delay of ‘No Time To Die’ that ‘cinemas will remain open around the world with strong attendance, in line with local conditions, and in communication with local health officials’.

‘The movie business is simultaneously global and local’, the organization said. ‘All theaters in the U.S. and Canada and the vast majority of movie theaters around the world remain open with strong ticket sales’.


FASHION | Saudi Arabia Taps Ex-Parson Dean Burak Cakmak To Lead Kingdom’s Fashion Commission

Saudi Arabia has announced the announced the appointment of Burak Cakmak, the former dean for the College of Fashion at Parsons School of Design at The News School, to lead the Kingdom’s Fashion Commission, according to an announcement by the Ministry of Culture. Cakmak will officially led the Fashion Commission as CEO, with the task … Continue reading FASHION | Saudi Arabia Taps Ex-Parson Dean Burak Cakmak To Lead Kingdom’s Fashion Commission

ROYALS | UK’s Princess Eugenie Names Baby Son August, Buckingham Palace Says

Britain’s Princess Eugenie, granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth, and her husband Jack Brooksbank have named their son August Philip Hawke Brooksbank, Buckingham Palace said on Saturday. The couple’s first child was born earlier in February, and his name includes an apparent not to the queen’s 99-year-old husband Prince Philip, who is in hospital on a precautionary … Continue reading ROYALS | UK’s Princess Eugenie Names Baby Son August, Buckingham Palace Says

ROYALS | Prince Harry, Megan Won’t Return To Royal Family Roles: Buckingham Palace

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan made their final split with the British royal family, telling Queen Elizabeth that they will not be returning as working members of monarchy, Buckingham Palace said on Friday. Harry and Meghan, who announced they are expecting their second child on Sunday, shocked senior royals last year by announcing plans … Continue reading ROYALS | Prince Harry, Megan Won’t Return To Royal Family Roles: Buckingham Palace

ROYALS | ‘Overjoyed’ Harry And Meghan Expecting Second Child

Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are expecting their second child, a spokesperson for the couple said on Sunday. Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, stepped back from royal duties in January 2020 and moved with their son Archie to Southern California to live a more independent life and … Continue reading ROYALS | ‘Overjoyed’ Harry And Meghan Expecting Second Child

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s